Creative Technology today announced the Sound Blaster X7, their most powerful and technologically advanced audio solution for gamers (or anyone else really) to date. No matter what you listen to and what platform you play it through, the X7 promises to make it bigger, louder, and better.
The X7 uses Creative’s impressive audio processing technologies and turns them all up to “11” with audiophile-grade components and specifications. The X7 aims to meet the needs of virtually every type of user on virtually any platform, including PC, console, smartphone, tablets, TVs, and more.
The Sound Blaster X7 is basically an ultra high-end external USB Sound Blaster with nearly every form of connector all crammed into a small trapezoid. And you know it must be something special when the press release is no less than 7 pages of specifications, options, and (of course) the usual marketing hyperbole–and an MSRP of $399.
“The world has changed, and so must Sound Blaster. The answer is the Sound Blaster X7. Audio content for games, music and movies has changed so incredibly in detail and complexity in this day and age, and consumed on so many platforms – PCs, laptops, smart devices, TVs and game consoles to name a few – and by many different generations of users. Our goal is to allow all these users of all these platforms to enjoy the best audio in the way it’s meant to be heard, and in the way they want to hear it. That’s why we’ve created the Sound Blaster X7. It is absolutely the biggest, baddest, and boldest Sound Blaster to date.”
Wong Hoo Sim, CEO of Creative.
Take a gander at the impressive array of specifications, options, and features:
Sound Blaster X7 Features and Specifications (courtesy of Creative Technology)
- Burr-Brown (PCM1794) 127dB digital-to-analog converter (DAC) supports high-resolution audio playback of HD audio tracks up to 24-bit/192kHz when connected to
- PC/Mac, including 24-bit/88.2kHz and 24-bit/176.4kHz
- Texas Instruments (TPA6120A2) 600Ω headphone amplifier is capable of driving audiophile-grade headphones, with full and detailed clarity
- High power, high efficiency Texas Instruments Class D amplifier (TPA3116D2) delivers up to 100W power (2 x 50W @ 4Ω). (Note: 100W speaker output requires upgrade to high power adapter (24V 6A). Supplied power adapter provides up to 2 X 38W @ 4Ω.)
- Burr-Brown (PCM4220) 123dB analog-to-digital converter (ADC) delivers high quality, low noise analog line-in audio playback and audio recording of up to 24-bit/192kHz
- Nichicon “Fine Gold” capacitors offers rich sound in the bass register and clearer highs
- USB 2.0 Host connectivity allows direct streaming of high quality, lossless audio from
Android and iOS devices
- Asynchronous Mode USB Audio greatly reduces jitter and allows accurate high-resolution audio data transfer from the computer
- Swappable op-amps for customizable tonality
- ASIO support allows for reduced latency for a higher resolution audio experience to passive bookshelf and tower speakers
- Gold-plated audio connectors create precise contact for low signal loss
- Digital High-Speed USB 2.0 connectivity to PC/Mac as an ultra high-end external Sound Blaster
- Digital USB Host connectivity to select iOS/Android models for direct high quality, lossless audio streaming
- Optical S/PDIF-Input connectivity to televisions and gaming consoles
- Features wireless Bluetooth 4.1 Low Energy connectivity and Near Field Communication (NFC) technology for one-touch Bluetooth pairing. Also supports HD audio codecs such as aptX® Low Latency and AAC for a wireless connection as good as a wired connection, and Creative MultipointTM for up to two simultaneous Bluetooth connections
- Features an RCA Line-In (Right and Left) option for analog connectivity to other various audio sources
- Features a 3.5mm Mic-In
- iOS devices using Lightning connector (iPhone 5, 5S, 5C, iPad Air, iPad Mini)
- Android devices (Samsung Galaxy S4, S5, Note 2, Note 3; Google Nexus 5, Nexus 7; Sony Xperia Z, Ultra; Xiaomi Redmi, Redmi Note, Mi 3; LG G2)
Play to any speaker system and headphones:
- Gold-plated 2-Way binding post terminal connectors for passive bookshelf and tower speakers (bare wires/banana plug connectivity). Comes with a switch for impedance selection
- 5.1 analog connectivity for surround sound
- Optical S/PDIF-Output connectivity
- 1/4′′ (6.3mm) headphone out
- 1/8′′ (3.5mm) headphone out
Pricing and Availability
The Creative Sound Blaster X7, priced at USD399.99, will be available in December 2014 at the online store at creative.com.